Personal authentication service
(3-D Secure/Security Code)
Tokaido Sanyo Kyushu Shinkansen Internet Reservation Service
You can purchase tickets and make seat reservations in your own country before arriving in Japan for the Tokaido Sanyo Kyushu Shinkansen,
which links Tokyo, Nagoya, Kyoto, Osaka, Hiroshima, Hakata and Kumamoto etc. on Japan's Golden Route.
Click here for about Tokaido Sanyo Kyushu Shinkansen.
Key points of the Tokaido Sanyo Kyushu Shinkansen Internet Reservation Service
Start to use the service straight away, with a simple registration process! No annual membership fee!
3 simple steps! Register for the membership to start using this service straight away.
You need the credit card for membership registration.
Make a reservation using a simple process! Change your reservation as often as you like!
Make a reservation quickly - any time, any place. Also, changes can be made, as many times as you like, right up to the time your train departs.
The payment is settled in YEN and foreign transaction fee may be charged depending on a contract between the Member and his or her credit card company. Note that each time a change is made, a new payment will be charged for the new fare before the old one is refunded. Therefore foreign transaction fees may be charged each time a change is made.
You can choose how to board; QR-Ticket, ticket or IC card!
- Hold your QR-Ticket over the Shinkansen ticket gates!
- Pick up tickets at the stations and board the train!
- Use "IC cards for public transportation (pre-paid IC cards)". See below for the details about the IC cards. Once you've registered your IC card, you can just touch your card to the ticket gate!
If you have not registered or designated IC cards, please use QR-Ticket or pick up your tickets from the ticket vending machines, etc. before boarding.
By booking early, you can get "Hayatoku fares" at a discount.
Take a bargain break on the Shinkansen and use it as you like - to travel with friends and family, or to go to a concert or take a trip on your own.
There are limits to the number of seats/boarding sections and some dates are not included.
Accepted credit cards
The Shinkansen fare will be paid from your registered credit card at the time of purchase.
- Credit card payments need to be made by the member himself/herself; therefore card holders must be 18 or over.
- It is recommended to use a regular credit card for registration. When you use a credit card that is different in size from normal ones, or any other credit card that does not have a physical form (virtual card), some services will not be available, such as refunds after you pick up tickets.
- Due to the settlement procedures for debit cards and prepaid cards, a small amount may be temporarily withdrawn when checking the validity of your card. Similarly, payments may be temporarily withdrawn twice or your balance may be insufficient when changing or refunding a reservation. Therefore, in some cases your card company may decide that your card cannot be used to register with this service.
"Tokaido Sanyo Kyushu Shinkansen Internet Reservation Service" has introduced "3D Secure", the personal authentication service recommended by credit card brands, to ensure the safety of credit card payments.
If you have not set up the personal authentication service, the credit card you are using does not support the personal authentication service, or you have failed authentication by the personal authentication service, you may not be able to use Tokaido Sanyo Kyushu Shinkansen Internet Reservation Service.
Accepted IC cards
You can board the shinkansen using one of ten types of IC card for public transportation that are reciprocally accepted nationwide.
IC cards are pre-paid IC cards that can be used across Japan on major railways, buses and for shopping.
When using the IC card, by simply touching your card to the ticket gate, etc., payment will automatically be deducted taken from the card balance which has been charged up in advance.
- Please note the Shinkansen fare in this service is paid from your registered credit card when you make a reservation (it is not deducted from the balance of your IC card.)
- IC card registration is optional. You can register, change, and delete your cards after you have registered for membership.
- If you have not registered or designated IC cards, please use QR-Ticket or pick up your tickets from the ticket vending machines, etc. before boarding.
- Cards that show the owner's name cannot be used by another person.
- Children's cards cannot be used as the member's registered IC card.
- IC cards for public transportation (pre-paid IC cards) for foreign visitor are valid for 28 days from the purchase date. Once the valid period expires, you will not be able to board any train because an error will occur at the ticket gate.