Personal authentication service
(3-D Secure/Security Code)
Tokaido Sanyo Shinkansen Internet Reservation Service
You can purchase tickets and make seat reservations in your own country before arriving in Japan for the Tokaido Sanyo Shinkansen,
which links Tokyo, Nagoya, Kyoto, Osaka and Hiroshima etc. on Japan's Golden Route.
Click here for about Tokaido Sanyo Shinkansen.
Key points of the Tokaido Sanyo Shinkansen Internet Reservation Service
Start to use the service straight away, with a simple registration process! No annual membership fee!
3 simple steps! Register for the membership to start using this service straight away.
You need the credit card for membership registration.
Make a reservation using a simple process! Change your reservation as often as you like!
Make a reservation quickly - any time, any place. Also, changes can be made, as many times as you like, right up to the time your train departs.
The payment is settled in YEN and foreign transaction fee may be charged depending on a contract between the Member and his or her credit card company. Note that each time a change is made, a new payment will be charged for the new fare before the old one is refunded. Therefore foreign transaction fees may be charged each time a change is made.
You can choose how to board; ticket or IC card!
- Pick up tickets at the stations and board the train!
- Use "IC cards for public transportation (pre-paid IC cards)". See below for the details about the IC cards. Once you've registered your IC card, you can just touch your card to the ticket gate!
If you have not registered an IC card; if your reservation is for two or more people, or includes children; or if the service is being used by one person who is not a member, then please pick up your tickets from the ticket vending machines, etc. before you board.
By booking early, you can get "Hayatoku fares" at a discount.
Take a bargain break on the Shinkansen and use it as you like - to travel with friends and family, or to go to a concert or take a trip on your own.
There are limits to the number of seats/boarding sections and some dates are not included.
Accepted credit cards
The Shinkansen fare will be paid from your registered credit card at the time of purchase.
- Credit card payments need to be made by the member himself/herself; therefore card holders must be 18 or over.
- Please note that sometimes the transaction may differ and may involve having to pick up tickets etc. if you use a virtual credit card where no physical card is issued, or if the size of your credit card differs from the norm.
- Due to the settlement procedures for debit cards and prepaid cards, a small amount may be temporarily withdrawn when checking the validity of your card. Similarly, payments may be temporarily withdrawn twice or your balance may be insufficient when changing or refunding a reservation. Therefore, in some cases your card company may decide that your card cannot be used to register with this service.
This service uses the personal authentication services provided by credit card companies.
Accepted IC cards
You can board the shinkansen using one of ten types of IC card for public transportation that are reciprocally accepted nationwide.
IC cards are pre-paid IC cards that can be used across Japan on major railways, buses and for shopping.
When using the IC card, by simply touching your card to the ticket gate, etc., payment will automatically be deducted taken from the card balance which has been charged up in advance.
- Please note the Shinkansen fare in this service is paid from your registered credit card when you make a reservation (it is not deducted from the balance of your IC card.)
- IC card registration is optional. You can register, change, and delete your cards after you have registered for membership.
- If you have not registered an IC card; if your reservation is for two or more people, or includes children; or if the service is being used by one person who is not a member, then before you board please pick up your tickets from the ticket vending machines, etc. with the registered credit card you used when making the reservation.
- Cards that show the owner's name cannot be used by another person.
- Children's cards cannot be used.
- "IC cards for foreign visitors", such as "PASMO PASSPORT" issued by Pasmo Co. Ltd and "Welcome Suica" issued by East Japan Railway Company can also be registered for this Service.