Boarding with an IC card
A member using the service by himself/herself can board the Shinkansen using a registered IC card.
This applies to reservations that show "Ticketless" on the "Reservation Complete" screen.
If you are registering an IC card, once you have registered for membership, the process must be carried out using the same smart phone you used when registering for membership. When using the different smart phone, please pick up tickets for boarding.
See here regarding IC cards
When boarding directly from any Shinkansen station
When using an IC card on the Shinkansen, "Seat Information" containing details of your reservation will be issued from the Shinkansen ticket gate; please make sure that you pick it up before boarding the train.
Just touch your IC card to the ticket gate and board the train.
- The Shinkansen fare in this service is paid from your registered credit card when you make the reservation (it is not deducted from the balance of your IC card.)
If you are transferring between the Shinkansen and a conventional line
When using an IC card (for conventional lines) and an IC card (for the Shinkansen)
Please touch your registered IC card at the ticket gate at the conventional line station and the Shinkansen station to board the trains.
- When used on conventional lines, the fares for the conventional line boarding sections will be deducted from the IC card balance.
- The Shinkansen fare is paid from your registered credit card when you make a reservation (it is not deducted from the balance of your IC card.)
When using tickets (for conventional lines) and an IC card (for the Shinkansen)
Please first insert the ticket from the conventional line into the ticket gate for the Shinkansen, and then afterwards touch your IC card registered with this Service to the turnstile to board the Shinkansen.
- Please be sure to insert the ticket first and then touch your IC card to the ticket gate afterwards.
Enter through the ticket gate for conventional lines at the Shinkansen station where you are boarding
If you enter through a ticket gate for conventional lines at the Shinkansen station of embarkation (such as the Marunouchi entrance at Tokyo Station), from that ticket gate to the Shinkansen transfer gate, you will be able to go through using just your registered IC card to board the Shinkansen.
Please touch your registered IC card at the ticket gate at the conventional line ticket gate and the Shinkansen transfer gate to board the train.
- If you pass through the conventional line concourse, the fare will not be deducted from the balance on your IC card.
Note that your IC card must be charged with the following balances to allow you to pass through the conventional line concourse.
- Suica area (all stations from Tokyo - Atami): an amount equivalent to at least the initial fare
- TOICA Area (all stations from Mishima - Nagoya): no balance required
- ICOCA Area (all stations from Maibara - Hiroshima/Asa): at least 1 Yen
- SUGOCA Area (all stations from Kokura - Hakata): at least 10 Yen
- When using paper tickets or commuter passes with a magnetic strip in conjunction with an IC card, please make sure to insert the paper ticket or the commuter pass with the magnetic strip first to the Shinkansen transfer gate, and then afterwards touch the IC card.
- You can't pass through the ticket gate with "Seat Information". Please do not insert it to the ticket gate.
- If you have forgotten your IC card, please pick up your "tickets" from a JR Central or JR West ticket vending machine or ticket pick-up machine, using the credit card that was used to pay for your reservation. (See here regarding how to pick up tickets)
- You cannot use your IC card to enter through a ticket gate while reservations are in the process of being changed.
- If the IC card used for conventional lines and the IC card to board the Shinkansen are different, you cannot use them on top of each other. Please pick up a ticket at a ticket vending machine to change trains.
- Your IC card may not work if you have 2 or more IC cards in your card wallet and a card with an IC chip (such as an IC license, etc.) is included.
When using an IC card to board the Shinkansen, "Seat Information" will be produced from the Shinkansen ticket gate with information on your boarding date; boarding sections; train and seat.
- You cannot use the Seat Information to pass through the ticket gate.
- Your Seat Information will be checked on the train by ticket inspectors.
Validity is limited if marked as follows.
早特……Hayatoku: A type of fare. When it is printed, you cannot travel on any train/seat other than those reserved.
For details about "Hayatoku", see here
Information on boarding sections/departure and arrival times/trains and seats
If you are transferring trains, then details of the transfer trains will be listed. You can reserve to transfer up to 3 trains.